- Don’t rely on chain locks for security. They are only for privacy.
- Don’t open the door to a delivery or service person unless you are expecting a package or call.
- Check photo registration card before dealing with any solicitors, peddlers, interviewers, etc.
- Call the police department if a solicitor does not have a registration card.
- Be aware of any person who says he or she is from a utility company and needs to enter your home. Have them wait outside while you call the company to confirm the problem.
- Don’t give money to solicitors unless you know they are local kids collecting or selling for local causes.
- Never let a stranger enter your home to use the telephone.
Call 911 if the person at the door is aggressive or otherwise threatening